Crataegus oxyacantha is commonly known as Hawthorn. Maybush, Whitethorn, English Hawthorn are some other names associated with Crataegus oxyacantha. Hawthorn is being used to relieve heart diseases almost since 1st century. In the early 1800s, doctors in America were using the herb for relieving respiratory illnesses and circulatory disorders.
This plant is seen in North America, North Africa, Central Europe and Western Asia. It is also seen in the Himalayas, Central and Southern France and the UK.
PARTS OF THE PLANT USED
Flowers, dried leaves and fruits are used for medicinal purposes.
CHARACTERISTICS OF CRATAEGUS OXYACANTHA
Hawthorn is a small tree or bush which grows to a height of 7.5 m in height. It has deciduous leaves which are divided into three or five lobes. Flowers bloom from April to June. They are strong smelling and white in colour. Fruit is red, spherical and contains one, two or three nuts.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF CRATAEGUS OXYACANTHA
The plant is sweet, sour, aromatic and is known to improve peripheral circulation. It stabilizes the blood pressure, heart rate and coronary blood flow. It exhibits antioxidant and diuretic properties.
- Hawthorn is beneficial in relieving heart problems and circulatory disorders. A feeling of pressure or tightness in the heart area can be relieved with Hawthorn.
- It restores high blood pressure. When used in combination with Ginkgo biloba, it enhances memory and cerebral circulation.
- The berries are useful to relieve chest pain, heart failure, hardening of arteries and high blood pressure.
Hawthorn contains flavonoids, oligomeric procyanidins, caffeic and chlorogenic acid and triterpenes.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
This herb acts as a relieve for many ailments. Some of these are:
- Chest Pain or Angina: Chest pain or Angina occurs when the blood flow to the heart is less. Hawthorn improves blood circulation to the heart and increases endurance power.
- High Blood Pressure: Persons suffering from type 2 diabetes and hypertension can benefit from the usage of Hawthorn as it brings the blood pressure to normal levels.
- Heart Failure: Hawthorn enhances heart function. The exercising capacity in the person who consumes Hawthorn also increases. Shortness of breath and fatigue can be relieved with this herb. The effectiveness of Hawthorn has been proven in various studies.
- Stress: Hawthorn when used in combination with other herbs like Saint John’s wort, passion flower and valerian is useful in relieving problems like nervousness and stress.
- Respiratory diseases: The flowers of Hawthorn have been used to relieve respiratory problems. Because of the presence of pectin, it soothes the respiratory tract and throat. It is effective in inhibiting the growth of bacteria.
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS IN USING CRATAEGUS OXYACANTHA
Usage of any herb in the prescribed dosage will yield good results. Over dosage may lead to complications. To know about the correct dosage and usage, it is better to consult a medical practitioner.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS THAT USE TANACETUM PARTHENIUM
Currently there are no Planet Ayurveda Products that use this herb as an ingredient in them; however the below mentioned Planet Ayurveda products are useful in some conditions for which Hawthorn is used:
Ayurveda products are manufactured with 100 percent natural and vegetarian ingredients, without any chemicals or preservatives. We rely on ancient Ayurvedic texts to prepare all the medicines. We do not encourage testing of our products on animals. All the medicines and herbal supplements undergo quality checks at various levels. Opt for Planet Ayurveda products and seek good health.