Siya jeera is the Indian name for Carum Carvi. It is also known with the common name caraway. Since the time of ancient Romans, Egyptians and Greeks it was used widely as a herb. For the past several centuries it has been used in cakes and breads and with roasted apples.
Caraway plant is indigenous to west Asia, north and central Europe. In India it is widely grown in the northern Himalayan region. It is also propagated as a winter crop in Kashmir and surrounding areas.
CHARACTERISTICS OF CARUM CARVI
Caraway is a biennial, which has slender branched stems and a fleshy root. It reaches a height of around two feet. The feather like leaves are segregated into small segments and the plant produces small white flowers. It flowers during early summer season. The ripened fruit breaks into elongated narrow carpels which are pointed near the ends and curved. Four vertical ridges are seen on the surface of the fruit. The dried fruit or seeds are brown in colour, sharp and hard to touch. They give out aromatic and pleasant flavour.
PARTS OF THE PLANT USED AS MEDICINE
Caraway seeds, roots and leaves are used as medicine in relieving various ailments.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF CARUM CARVI
This herb has several therapeutic properties. Some of these are:
- It is a strong aromatic and stimulant herb which is used to calm spasms of the uterus and gastric tract. It is also used to relieve respiratory complaints as an expectorant.
- Caraway is known as one of the most efficient carminative herbs which have stomachic and carminative properties. The oil is known for the antimicrobial and spasmolytic activities.
- Caraway has been used to relieve gas, indigestion, colic in infants since ancient times.
- Caraway seeds contain antispasmodics and provide relief in menstrual cramps.
- Lactating mother can use these seeds to produce more milk and is also used for relieving diarrhea, ulcers and bronchitis.
- Chewing caraway seeds is an easy method for easy digestion of food after a meal.
- The decoction made out of the seeds can be used for gargling in laryngitis.
Caraway seeds contain protein, fat, appreciable moisture, large amounts of carbohydrates. Minerals like sodium, iron, thiamine, niacin, calcium, ash and phosphorous are present. Vitamins A and C are also seen. For every 100 grams of caraway seeds, the calorific value is 465.
Essential and valuable oil is processed from caraway seeds. The oil contains large amounts of carvone. The oil is pale yellow in colour and has a strong flavour of the fruit. It contains traces of carvacol, ketone, carvone and terpene.
Caraway essential oil is known for its properties like astringent, antiseptic, carminative, cardiac, digestive, diuretic, emmenagogue, parasiticide and expectorant. The oil has a mild peppery smell and a sweet spicy flavor. Caraway essential oil is used for detoxifying the body, for boosting energy and easing mental strain.
The oil is helpful in relieving acne, boils and other skin problems.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
- Stomach disorders: Caraway seeds are extremely beneficial in strengthening the various function of the stomach. They help in relieving flatulence and can be used as colic reliever in babies.
- Flatulence: For reducing flatulence, caraway seeds should be boiled and a cup of this tea should be consumed three times in a day after meals. A teaspoon of caraway seeds should be added to 1.5 to 2 litres of water and boiled for around 15 minutes. Later the strained liquid should be consumed while hot or warm.
- Bad breath: For overcoming insipid taste or bad breath, caraway seed oil can be consumed.
- Scabies: A solution with caraway essential oil, 75 parts of castor oil and alcohol is effective in relieving scabies. It should be consumed orally.
- Hookworms: Caraway oil contains carvone, which is an anthelmintic and works well for eliminating hookworms from the stomach.
- Breathing ailments: As an expectorant, caraway oil helps to reduce the symptoms of cough, bronchitis and bronchial asthma.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS WHILE USING CARUM CARVI
Pregnant women must avoid the use of caraway seeds in excess quantities. The essential oil needs to be diluted before using. Some people may show allergic symptoms and hence a patch test is advisable.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS USING CARUM CARVI
The following planet Ayurveda product uses Carum Carvi to extract maximum benefits from this herb:
A medical practitioner should be consulted before using any herbs. We at Planet Ayurveda strive to maintain utmost quality standards in manufacturing all the herbs, supplements and Ayurvedic medicines. Our products are 100 percent natural and vegetarian. We never allow our products to be tested on animals. You can safely rely on Planet Ayurveda products for good health.