The scientific name of celery, celery seed is Apium Graveolens. It is also known with the names of marsh parsley and wild celery. In Hindi it is called Ajwain ka patta. Celery has been used in Chinese medicine since fifth century BC onwards. It is a salad plant.
In India celery is used in Ayurvedic medicine to relieve flu, colds, poor digestion, water retention, disorders of spleen and liver and different types of arthritis. The volatile oil is used in pharmaceutical and perfume industries.
CHARACTERISTICS OF APIUM GRAVEOLENS
Celery plant is thin and grows to a height of two to three feet. It has around three to five segmented flowers and leaves. The flowers are green-white in colour and the seeds are grayish brown in colour. It is biennial aromatic plant which has fleshy bulbous roots.
PARTS OF THE PLANT USED AS MEDICINE
The whole plant is used as a medicine including roots, oil and seeds.
THERAPEUTIC POWERS OF APIUM GRAVEOLENS
This herb has several beneficial therapeutic properties. Some of these are:
- It is an aromatic bitter herb which reduces blood pressure, relieves indigestion, and stimulates the uterus, acts as anti-inflammatory, diuretic and aphrodisiac.
- Celery contains furocoumarins which are used for its carminative, stomachic, emmenagogue and diuretic properties.
- It is taken internally for relieving rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout and inflamed urinary tract.
- In Ayurveda it is used as a nerve tonic and also to relieve bronchitis and asthma.
- Celery has been used for relieving fungal infections and also tumours.
Seeds are used for distilling oil and it is useful in toning the nervous system, relieving cellulite and water retention. The essential oil of celery cleanses and purifies the kidneys, liver and spleen. It helps to reduce uric acid in the joints of arthritis, rheumatic and gout patients. The puffiness of the skin is reduced with the usage of celery essential oil.
The plant contains butylphthalids, furocoumarins, flavonoids and coumarins. Every 100 g of celery seeds contain 3g carbohydrates, water 95g, protein 0.7g, fat 0.2 g, dietary fibre 1.6 g, sugar 1.4 g and Vitamins A, C, E, K, calcium, iron, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium, sodium and zinc are present.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
This herb proves helpful in relieving several ailments. Some of these are:
- Cancer: The seeds of celery have cancer fighting abilities. There are some active components which are helpful in combating cancer tumours like phthalides and polyacetylenes.
- Blood pressure: Consuming celery seeds everyday will promote optimum levels of blood pressure.
- Liver disorders: Negative effects of acetaminophen are reduced with the usage of celery seeds. Liver is protected because of the analgesic properties.
- Cholesterol: Celery seeds have the ability to lessen cholesterol levels. Herbal practitioners advocate the usage of celery seeds for promoting circulatory system.
- Pain and inflammation: Because of the anti-inflammatory agents in celery, it acts well in relieving inflammation and pain of the joints. These seeds work well on ailments like rheumatism, gout and arthritis.
- Muscle spasms: Celery seeds are stimulating in nature and help to ease the uterus muscles during menstruation. Women can get relief from menstrual cramps and pains by using celery seeds.
- Kidney problems: Celery seeds are diuretic and hence eliminate excess uric acid from the body. These seeds can be consumed by people suffering from gout, water retention and kidney stones.
- Urinary tract infections: Celery seeds have antiseptic and antibiotic properties and can be used to relieve urinary tract infections. Patients suffering from bladder ailments, cystitis and kidney problems are advised to use celery seeds every day.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS WHILE USING APIUM GRAVEOLENS
The oil, seeds and other celery substances should not be consumed during pregnancy. Some people are allergic to celery and hence care should be taken while consuming celery and its related products.
It is always advisable to consult a practitioner before using any herbs or supplements.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCTS USING APIUM GRAVEOLENS
Currently there are no Planet Ayurveda Products that use this herb as an ingredient in them; however the below mentioned Planet Ayurveda products are useful in some conditions for which Apium Graveolens is used:
We at Planet Ayurveda maintain stringent quality standards for manufacturing herbs, supplements and Ayurvedic medicines. We use 100 percent vegetarian and natural ingredients for all preparations. We proudly claim that we never use animals for testing our products. If you want to lead a healthy life style, choose Planet Ayurveda products.