Achyranthes aspera is a botanical name of rough chaff, which is an erect and stiff annual herb which grows densely up to 50 cm in length.
The ash of this herb contains a high proportion of potash and is an antacid, which is an important constituent of alkaline medicine useful in relieving acidity.
This herb occurs in temperate and sub-tropical Himalayas from Kishtwar to Sikkim and Khasi hills at 1200-1820 metres. Also found in hills of Bihar, Konkan, Nilgiris and Travancore. The major used parts of this herb are seeds and dried plant. This herb is available with grocers as well as dealers of raw drugs throughout India.
It is worthwhile to mention that this herb has numerous branches, light green or pink in color covered with short, stiff and slightly rough hair. They have thorns pointing downwards. The leaves of this herb are egg shaped and green in color. The flowers are small and face downwards. You will always find old flowers at the bottom and fresh ones at the top.
As already mentioned, these herbs helping in relieving acidity, their seed are very useful in facilitating easy and painless delivery. The seed are grinded and mixed in water to make a fine paste which is applied in the navel, pubis and vulva for a safe delivery.
Rough chaff is one of the most important herbs also used by villagers in preparing mixed greens. Their leaves are tasteless but they have a bitter taste after cooking which is slightly mild in nature. Their leaves have soft cellulose, too.
Achyranthes aspera contains triterpenoid saponins which possess oleanolic acid as the aglycone. Ecdysterone, an insect moultinghormone, and long chain alcohols are also found in this herb.
CARE FOR AILMENTS
This herb proves to be an effective relieve against several ailments, some of these are:
- Asthma: Most Ayurvedic doctors use this herb to relieve Asthma. Their methodology in relieving this ailment is quite different. They pluck the leaves of this herb in pitch darkness with no light on the plant, because they believe that light destroys the reliever effects. These leaves are then grinded with black pepper on stone. Six pills are made from this paste which is dried in dark room the same night. The asthma patient has to take one pill with water on the ninth night of the second half of the lunar month, and continue to follow the procedure for 6 days up to new moon day.
- Cough: The ash of this herb is very useful in relieving cough, when mixed with honey.
- Spleen enlargement: This herb is specifically meant for spleen enlargement. The powder of the plant is used in 25 gram doses twice daily with a little beaten relieved. Good results can be seen in 3-4weeks.
- Cholera: The roots of this herb are taken in powdered form to relieve cholera.
- Renal dropsy: A decoction of the plant is beneficial in renal dropsy as it increases the secretion and discharge of urine. About 30 to 60 grams of the decoction should be taken twice or thrice, daily as recommended by the doctors.
- Stomach disorders: The juice of the leaves of this herb is considered beneficial in relieving stomach disorders like stomach ache, bowel complaints and piles. A decoction of the same, mixed with honey is useful in early stages of diarrhea and dysentery.
- Menorragia: This is referred to excessive bleeding during menstruation. This herb is useful in arresting the cause, therefore it is recommended in abnormally excessive menstruation. Infusion of this herb is used in relieving this concern.
- Skin Problems: The leaves of Achyranthes aspera are useful in relieving various skin ailments like cuts and wounds from sharp edged weapons. Juice of the leaves is soaked thoroughly on the wound and leaf is wrapped over it. It relieves in a day or two. Even the ointment made from the ash of the herb is used for clearing warts and ulcers.
- Eye disorders: The paste of the root of this herb, mixed with water can be applied beneficially in opthalmia and opacity of the cornea.
- Insect bites: The paste of the leaves (mixed with water) is highly effective in relieving bites of poisonous insects like wasps, bees etc. Recommended to apply externally on the affected part.
SAFETY AND PRECAUTIONARY TIPS
Though it is mentioned that rough chaff seeds facilitates easy pregnancy, it is advisable to take the juice in small doses. Always use this herb after consulting a practicing practitioner.
PLANET AYURVEDA PRODUCT THAT USES ACHYRANTHES ASPERA HERB
Though Planet Ayurveda does not use this herb in any of its product, but it has other herbal product range which can relieve ailments that can be relieved by Achyranthes aspera:
It is a constant endeavor at planet Ayurveda to produce quality products with best quality herbs. We believe in producing natural, organic ingredients especially for our products. All our remedies have vegetarian ingredients. So we recommend our clients to use our products without any worry and live a healthy and quality life.